Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Something New

I've always had a thing you don't date customers and you don't date employees. When I moved out here that left nobody. I went on the dating sites and tried to find somebody I thought might survive out here where I'm going to finish it out. Everybody wanted to travel. Let's go to Rome, London, Paris...... I'd say I'm not going any of those places. I have canyons five miles away I haven't explored yet. So no more was I looking for a needle in a haystack, I was looking for something that would pass through the hole on the needle in the haystack.



I could say that with accuracy because I'd done grid searches north, east, and west to the river for as far as I could go. Then I went five miles south gridding to the Lockhart turnoff. Today that is where Jax and I started.
Maybe an hour into the exploring a rabbit made a run for it and smoked Jax who spent fifteen minutes looking for one of a hundred rocks it could have gone under. Got that feeling something was watching me and looked up on the wall above Jax. Despite Jax thinking he was the bad ass the Golden Eagle sitting 30 feet above and watching him was actually the potential problem child. I tightened up my distance to Jax having seen eagles take jack rabbits bigger than Jax into the air. By the time we climbed up there it was gone.



Temperature was 52 and as far as I can see on the two week forecast 50s looks like where we're gonna be. One of the top two or three easy winters so far. May it continue.


I wonder how a rock could get shaped like this.
As Jax and I headed into a canyon sort of valley I got a little shiver. We were going to a place I'd never been and did not know what was in front of me. What a wonderful feeling.

We come across a road I don't know but following it, just a small spur from the road going down Lockhart Basin. Looks like use to be a road long time ago, somebody found it again but just a couple tracks and then joins into Lockhart Basin.


It's been a good day, except for the eagle that wanted to eat Jax. We got at least four solid hours in and now time to wander back out towards the river somewhere and see if we can find the truck. Dead Horse Point in the background.



No comments: