Wednesday, February 16, 2022

All Caught Up

 After his post I'm all caught up finally with Jax and I taking a couple days off. Sort of. I still have one Jackson Hole post to do but it's a lot of work so I've been holding off on it.


Finally I found an arrowhead and a little bit of pottery that goes with it. Many years ago I visited a granary that still had some petrified corn on the cob in it. Over the years each time I've visited there was less petrified corn on the cob. Fortunately I took a picture the first time of what it was like if I can only find it in the thousands of pictures I've taken over the years. Each time I'd visit I'd search trying to find out where they lived but I never had any luck. I did find a couple places where there was a type of rock that shouldn't be there and so a week or two ago when Jax and I were out exploring we returned to the place with the granary to see if there was any corn left. On the way back I had already passed the spot where I previously found rock that shouldn't be there but decided to go back and see if the random rocks were still there. They were and a few more had worked their way up from the soil. As I was about to put my left foot down and take a step I saw a bit of a point sticking out. Reached down and found these. I've found lots of pottery, scrapers, spear heads, petroglyphs, pictographs, and even petrified corn on the cob and lots of arrowhead flakes but never an arrowhead. I took some guests out to Skinny People one time, a hike I've done hundreds of time and a guest found an arrowhead but not me, nope, nothing. Got one this time and I think it's the best one I've ever seen.

Last week when Jax and I went over to visit the neighbor across the river I lost my smart phone. Never lost a phone before for more than a few hours and actually I don't think I lost this one either. Someday, probably ten years from now. Linny will be cleaning her Jeep and she'll say "I found Tom's phone." After all the years of having a dumb phone that worked one hundred times better, actually I could just say worked and it would be way ahead of the smart phone. I hated that smart phone though I now have the same phone over again and I harbor it no ill will since it's no better or worse than the one I lost. The one I lost though I hated that phone because it is the crappy alternative to a phone that worked for 15 years almost everywhere. It's still probably somewhere in the deep recesses of the Jeep but I prefer to think that I did lose it and it's out there in the wilderness with the battery slowly dying, hot by day, cold by night, and suffering mightily. That is my hope.

Collin has really found himself. He's got the place under control. I'm still doing the administrative part but he's running the show each day and night. I'm glad the deal on the hill hasn't happened yet because I still find something almost every day that I haven't told Collin about yet. There's 15 years of experience inside my head and I didn't write it down, except maybe the blog so things are still coming up in daily activities.
Unfortunately on the other hand Nate is moving back up to Salt Lake so that's a tough loss. Collin thinks he has somebody coming in to replace him but he's on his own until that happens. I'll fill in blanks if he needs me to but probably best he gets an idea of what's coming. We're full this weekend and then a couple weeks of half full. Disc golf tourney is 2nd weekend of March and then we're mostly full all the way to Memorial Day so far.
Beach is huge.





The motor home I took the disc golfers back to.
That's it. I'm caught up. Jax is stretching. Time to go exploring again.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Been reading your blog since my wife and I stayed at the lodge back in September. It's a nice escape from the realities of work and living in the North East. Keep the stories coming!