Monday, August 31, 2026
The Road
Years ago San Juan County, the county I'm in, not Grand County where Moab is but I'm a mile over the border in San Juan. They are wonderful people and I've lived a lot of places in my life and they are the best by far. They leave you alone. The road over Hurrah Pass has been a little different. Years ago when I first got here there was a pissing contest between Doug who use to own most of the property out here and the county. They graded the road quite a bit when I got here but somewhere in there, not known to me. they changed the road from a B road to a D road which apparently says they can grade it whenever they want, or not ever. So for many years they would grade the road once right around the end of the year and that's pretty much it.I get really good reviews from guests that stay here and if there is any criticism it's nearly always about the road over Hurrah Pass getting here. A lot of people enjoy the road and it's beautiful views and it does weed out all the pussies which is why I think to a degree that I get really good guests, nobody expecting a mint on their pillow. Two weeks ago I emailed the county to could they grade the road twice a year. Late August just before the busy season starts and again in late Feb or early March just before the other tourist season starts. The email came back undeliverable. I called and ask for the road guy and it's somebody else. I told him about my twice a year suggestion and he liked it. I ask if they could grade it before Labor Day weekend and he said "I think so." I hear the grader out there on the pass somewhere right now. This is really encouraging.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment