Thursday, August 20, 2026

Life and Death

Jax and I usually hike in the mornings, then try and get one outdoor work project done before the sun heats things up.
This morning our work project was cutting down hanging branches in the creek bed leading to the beach so guests can walk down from the lodge. There's been so little water in the river for so long, shubbery is growing up on the beach. As we walk up the creek bed cutting branches the flies become numerous, never a good sign. I saw seven turkey vultures circling when we got to the beach. I was going to call across the river to let them know they had something dead but hiking up the creek it was me that had something dead. A young deer had been there a few days. I had just seen it on the north side of the property a few days earlier. No cat tracks and it's head isn't bent back like it had been dragged. So, don't know.

No comments: