Friday, August 21, 2026

Desert Cabal

When I moved here I use to read a lot. I bought books about nature. One of the first books I bought and heard about was Edward Abbey. He was revered at the expert living out here. I remember reading things he wrote in Desert Solitaire and then walking out the door to go see if what he said was true. It was easy for me. I lived in the desert, cliffs, canyons, plateaus, and lands he wrote of. I learned much early. One of the first days here I walked out into the back yard 50 feet or so, then walked as far west as I could. Not far as the tamarisk and river are there. Moved north 50 feet and walked as far east as I could, 50 feet north and then as far west and so on and so on. I have grid searched ten or so miles to the north, the east, and the south. River is in the way to the west. Ten years later I did it again. I had learned so much there were probably things I missed because I didn't have the desert knowledge the first time. A few weeks ago I was looking for something in the office and found a small book called Desert Cabal, Amy Irvine author. She has lived in various boonies mostly her whole life. I don't remember buying it but I have hundreds of books so not unusual. This book, some about her personal life, some retrospect on Edward Abbey, some, alot actually political, in the sense that she's against everything that doesn't agree with her views, and really against them. There's no middle. This book is mostly an imaginary conversation with Edward Abbey 20 or so years after his death. One of Obama's last days in office he created Bears Ears, a national monument south of me. The argument was how beautiful the area was and it had to be protected. Though one could argue, it has remained beautiful all this time and is alreayd protected. Trump came into office and shrwank it. Biden massive expanded it above even what Obama had done. What use to be 50 plus miles south of me, expanded and surrounded five of my acres on the other side of the Hurrah Pass road. Trump just shrank it again and I got my five acres back.
This is the book with my magnetic Kobae bookmark I use. One thing we do agree on, the more people you tell about something, the more some of them will want some of it. She blames Edward Abbey for all the people coming to the boonies because his books were so famous and how people enjoyed them and wanted some of what he experienced. She blames herself some as this is I think the 4th book she's written. People have read them and want some of it. I remember the day after Obama created Bears Ears, the very next day, somebody pulled up and wanted to know if I had a map of Bears Ears. You think it's being protected by being a National Monument and telling everyone about it?

No comments: