Saturday, August 29, 2026

Mike and Kristin Russo

Kristin Russo came by last week for four days. Mike and Kristin were some of the very first guests I had 20 years ago. They said they went hiking with Bill who was the first person who ever worked here. The family would come out from back east and collect rocks, fossils, and just enjoy nature. I don't know how many times. When they would leave they would have a Jeep station wagon full of rocks and fossils. I ask them if they had a rock shop or something and they said "No, they just liked rocks."On their departure as their Jeep would go over Hurrah Pass there would be a slight gravitational pull in the planet as all the weight went to the other side. Many times while the family was out hiking Mike would stay and just go around and fix things. Then years ago when I decided to remodel everything I was trying to decide who I could trust to do the work cause I didn't have time, and didn't want to supervise. I realized I didn't have to worry about the guy that had been working for free for ten years and actually paying me to stay here. I hired Mike and a few weeks later I picked him up in Grand Junction at the airport and the next month or so along with Johnny and Sarah it was some of the funniest times I've ever had here. In particular asking them to put the insulation back up under the lodge and listening to them discover all the skunks that were living there, somehow without incident. Five or so years ago Mike passed. Not long after Kristin came out to spread ashes at some of their favorite places. Thank you Kristin. Miss you Mike.

No comments: