Sunday, August 2, 2026

Little Things

I have five kinds of lizards. Fence lizard is the smallest. No point in getting to know them as everybody else eats them. Side-blotched I've had lots of fun with over the years and even became friends with some of them. Who's Up, What's Up, and Little Up. They own the porches and the walls above them. Whip tailed lizards. All female, they clone themselves, they simulate the act but it's all cloning themselves. They are lightning quick and I've never been able to catch one. They have real sensitive bellies and they sit in the bushes until they feel movement in the ground and then dig the crickets up and eat them. Their only known predator is the Leopard lizard. Leopard's are yellow with black spots, red spots if they are pregnant. They show up rarely just to eat Whip-tails. I saw one catch one years ago and it slowly swallowed it. It took about an hour. They aren't too far apart in size. Collard lizard is the largest kind I have. They rarely visit the lodge. They are all kinds of colors and have a black collar around their neck. I saw a leopard snatch a side blotched today and take off. A side blotched that's been on the porch for a couple years. Jax took off after the leopard and it dropped the side-blotched who blew back to the porch and dive in a post hole.
There are four identifiable raccoons that stand out. Mother, who is just pure evil, you can see it in her eyes. Another had some hair missing on it's left butt cheek, thanks to a disagreement with Mother, one raccoon whos stands up a lot, and another that just has one eye, well it has two eyes but it can't see out of the left one and when you shine a headlamp on it there is no reflection from it's left eye. You throw it a hot dog and if it goes past one eye it can't see it and a different raccoon will get it. However the last few nights two of Mother's babies show up way early. They wander all over the place unaware there are rules about where they can go, but Jax is teaching them. They stayed all night last night and didn't leave until daylight as Jax and I were leaving to go hiking.
I've got some units that need cleaning and I don't want to do it. Also all the grills that survived are filthy. I called Sonya who worked here for awhile and she declined. I called Wands and haven't gotten a call back. I was in town and went to see Johnny across the street from Village Market and they said he retired a couple years ago and lives in an old folks home. I'm six or so years older than him. There are two more who said they would work here but I've fired both of them in previous years and I don't want to do it again. I guess it's me.

No comments: