Sunday, December 25, 2022

The Kill

I finally got a chance to clean out the beater that I took Kobae back to San Diego with. All the wrappers and empty cups I threw in the back seat while I was driving trying to stay awake. I'm in the middle of the California desert somewhere and see an Artic Circle off the freeway and remember how wonderful their chocolate malts use to taste. I walk in the front door and tell them I just want a large chocalte malt, not shake, malt and a couple hot dogs. Guy says $20. I say a malt and two hot dogs. He says the malt is $11 and hands me a little cup. I said a large malt. He says that is large. I seriously busted up laughing. The look on his face never changed. We just stared at each other and I gave him $20.
There are cows all over the property, just a couple hours ago, 8pm or so this Saturday night Jax, Teresa, and I chased two cows out of Kobae's pen and three more out of the back yard in the dark.
Jax and I hiked over to the north side of the property today to put water in the solar batteries we took over there from the lodge and added them to what was at Last Hurrah already while the lodge got all new batteries. Both places storage capacity doubled. On the way back we cut through what's left of the boneyard road. I wanted to check the beach and see if there were any new mountain lion tracks. There weren't. Jax and I hiked back to the end of the drag mark where the kill disappeared. There were two sets of drag marks. At first I thought it had killed twice, but then again, maybe it doubled back with the kill.
I followed the double drag marks where they stopped and went up a hill.
There, mostly covered up with the belly open and intestines hanging out along with the legs lay what's left of the deer. The mountain lion mostly covered it up, to me, meaning it's coming back to get it's stash at some point. A few weeks ago one night none of the night critters showed up and on the blog I put the mountain lion is here. If not that night, the next, or the one after that, or perhsps every night.

No comments: