Friday, December 23, 2022

Dying Time is Here

It's good to walk the propety occasionally to see what has happened here and there while you weren't around. Teresa asks me to follow her over to the creek. She's amazed how much wider it's gotten in the year or so that she has been here and especially the last four or five months. As I look down into the creekbed I think I see something I hoped I would never see again. Drag marks. The mountain lion has killed something just a few hundred feet from the lodge and is dragging it to where it can eat. You can see the body being dragged by the throat and the legs being pulled along on the other side of the drag mark.
This is where the big horn jumped down into the creek bed with the mountain lion not far behind it and tracking it. The kill is just a few hundred feet away where the drag marks start.
Mostly Jax is leading and Teresa not far behind. The tracks are a few days old and nothing new so little chance of danger. I kept expecting Jax and Teresa to walk around the next corner and that's where they'll find what's left of the big horn. If nothing else at least the skull. The tracks and the drag marks stop on a small ledge and that's where everything ends. I keep looking to see where the kill is buried or a few bones but there's nothing but where everything was consumed. The mountain lion then walked out on the beach, got a drink of water and headed up the boat ramp next to the kayaks. I never picked up anymore tracks on the rest of the hike.

No comments: