Sunday, September 28, 2014

Cometh the Rain, Again (We're Screwed, Again)

I saw the forecast. It's coming. Guests checking out on Sunday left on Saturday to play it safe. Still, it was a beautiful day. Kobae is hiking around his fence trying to find a way out. I look up at the sky, probably time for a couple hour hike. Don't see anything menacing. We're over in the dead end canyon at the bottom of the sand hill so Kobae can try to exercise the demons in his head by climbing his own sand hill and Johnny from Caveman Ranch calls on the walkie talkie. "I don't know where you are but ugly is coming over the Anti Cline and you probably can't see it from where you are." I look up and it's not just ugly, ugly brought the stick along that makes more uglies. Not to be confused with bumping uglies. Time to turn Kobae around and try and get through the creeks before they flood. Five minutes later it's clear we're not going to make it and the lightning is too intense to be anywhere but low in a creek. I try and get Kobae to pull over and take shelter and he thinks about it a couple times but keeps going. I've brought lots of rain gear so as long as I can stay up against a creek bank I'm probably clear of lightning. Probably. Right there is where the camera battery went dead. The rain came hard. As we walk around a bend in the pouring rain there are three vehicles pulled over and the people taking shelter. With everyone else in shelter Kobae and I are walking down the road getting buried. They want to know where there is better shelter. I ask to borrow one of the ATVs and for them to watch Kobae. I'll be back in ten minutes with the truck, pick up Kobae, and they can follow me back to the lodge. When we get to the lodge there are two side by sides there already with four more people under the porches. For the next hour the Base Camp driveway is flooded again and everybody is briefly stuck here. In time as the creek goes down I drive to the front gate to see if it's passable. Come back and get everyone and then follow them out to make sure no one gets stuck. Then I found the spare battery for the camera so this is well after the drive way has gone down. During the night it has rained very hard and I'm guessing the bottom of the hill is gone and the driveway going up to where the sign was is probably gone also.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Home from Ireland. Visited the Giants Causeway. Little or no rain. Looks like you made up for it round your parts. Glad you are both safe.