Thursday, December 9, 2021

Numbers

It's mostly over. I don't have any guests until almost Christmas though everything is available. I can figure out my income and I finished about $30,000 above last year. The market has been so weird. The year of Covid I was down $75,000 as of May 31st. Then in late May 2000 people started calling saying they were tired of being locked up and they had been in their houses for two months and they were done and by Sep 30th I have gotten the whole $75,000 back and when Dec 31st came I was $75,000 up of last year. 

Then here comes 2021. I'm up $68,000 as of June 30th for the first six months. That's understandable because the previous year is when Covid hit and I had almost no revenue until late May. Then somewhere around July this year it fell off. Primarily because Airbnb which was about 55% of my online business blocked me because I wouldn't wear a mask when I had Airbnb guests. Utah didn't have a mask requirement, San Juan County didn't and Moab had gotten rid of theirs but Airbnb, headquartered in San Francisco had a mask mandate so they made it mandatory for all their bookings. I wouldn't do it, told them I wouldn't do it, and they blocked me which blocked all the calendars linked to them. I told them if you want to do something healthy go outside during lunch and pick up poop off the sidewalk instead of worrying about me in the middle of nowhere. It took a heavy toll until I finally got Airbnb calendars de-linked from the other booking sites. It took 72 straight hours to hand enter all the bookings from Airbnb to the other sites and during that time 23 people booked through other sites dates that Airbnb guests had since those bookings no longer showed up. I had to go back and cancel and apologize to all the people that booked those dates.
I took about a $60,000 hit. I could have lied to Airbnb and said I was wearing a mask like I suspect most of the people living in Grand and San Juan counties were probably doing but I didn't. Not like Airbnb was going to drive out and check on me. The issues with Airbnb mounted when they threatened to cancel all the reservations I had with them already which was 70 something which would have put all their guests in a bind too. VRBO, Trip Advisor, nor Glamping Hub had a mask requirement and in time though I had ask them to let me know when they dropped the mask mandate they never did. One day I was on their page and noticed they had quietly changed the role to whatever your local regulations are. Now I don't link airbnb to anybody. I double input the bookings. Takes twice as long of course but a reminder that they can't be trusted.
There is some stuff that I don't know yet. Sometimes when we were full I'd rent Linny's room and seems like I almost always had kids here with the bunk bed room. I moved staff into Linny's room and the bunk bed room was closed and then eventually Nate moved in so those two rooms had almost no revenue this year where as the previous year collectively they did about $12,000 or so. Still it's much more peaceful here without kids and the reviews have changed this year. A lot more how quiet it is and the word peaceful comes up a lot. It wasn't just the kids mostly gone now unless we put a roll a way in a room the bunk bed room was the only room that had direct access to the living and dining rooms instead of outside access so with that room gone a lot of traffic doesn't flow into those two rooms a bit of a barrier to close contact with other guests.
I haven't done the breakdown of revenue percentage wise between the lodge and Last Hurrah side of the property. At the lodge in addition to de-activating Linny's room and the bunk bed room I converted the room with two singles to a king, but there for a little while it became a bunk bed with a full in it. I'm comfortable as a king it will rent more frequently than as two singles but it needs a whole year to shake out without the bunk bed and full in there.




No comments: