Thursday, December 9, 2021

National Geographic

 When my mom passed and my brother's wife's mom passed they each left giant collections of National Geographic. I've had them stuffed in closets and boxes and shelves here for 15 years. I was going to someday build a female hogan and then make a 360 bookshelf cabinet around the interior as extra insulation but at the same time be able to open the cabinets from the inside and pull out a piece of history from up to a hundred years ago.




Lilli had stayed here a couple months ago and wanted to get back to the desert and peace with quiet so she joined us for a few days. We did some hiking and she took on the task of finding all the NG's spread around the property and organizing them.

The earliest one we could find was November 1921, so 100 years. There is a row of 20's not complete, 30's, 40's, and 50's all appear complete. What to do with them now that my NG hogan dream is probably over.


Lilli looked up prices and I think the 20's were worth $10 or so each, 30s worth $7 or so, and 40's worth $5 each. Maybe a few thousand total. I was thinking of leaving them out and letting guests pick the ones they like after going through and picking out the ones that are about stuff around here. Maybe give them to the library. I went to the library and the lady out front said we get them offered to us all the time, no thanks. As I was leaving another lady came in and said they'll take them. They have some missing from their collection and I might have some. Then Nate told me the bookstore has some for sale and a huge collection of NG maps. I don't think I have room in the dining room but I'll do some measuring. What to do, what to do. 


When I was in the indoor soccer business there was a lady named Jami that worked for a competitor in Denver. I would sit in the bleachers at her facility watching how gifted she was with the teams, players, and even their kids. Our building was much better than theirs yet she was crushing us in the number of teams. I thought about her on the drive back to San Diego. When I got to San Diego I realized I needed her at all costs and turned around and drove back. I still couldn't get her to come over to Let's Play. The following summer I was touring with my Girls U-14 team which was exceptionally good and we were playing in Denver. We played, and tied her Regis College team 2 to 2. That won her over. She came to work for us, then switched outdoor clubs to the north side of town. She was worth it so I built another indoor soccer facility on the north side she could run but before it opened she switched to an outdoor club on the east side of town so I built another facility over there and as it opened she switched to an outdoor club back on the west side which she ran our original Denver facility until after I left the company sometime. Here's why I tell that story.

 I don't do this often, in fact I don't think I've done this ever, but I will now. Lilli is back because she'd like to work here. I spent a couple days hiking with her and we talked a lot. She is extremely gifted. She's lived in the desert, on a reservation, had all the nature jobs you could imagine, and spent time in multiple countries. Has a relaxed feeling about her that whatever happens she can deal with it because she already has lots of times. She won't tell me how old she is but when I would tell her a story about growing up in Salt Lake I could see the smile come to her face having experienced it around the same time, maybe a little later. When she was going through the National Geographics occasionally she'd say. Lilli needs to come back to the desert or something similar. I don't have anything for her but wish I did. If you have something in Southeast Utah, maybe elsewhere but not the city, that needs help, I might have somebody special for you.





No comments: