Tuesday, August 13, 2019

The Mornings

Jax and I don't miss a morning of hiking unless I have to go to town early. With Nicole here doing some of the cleaning we're even getting in an evening hike occasionally. Sixteen French folks showed up last night. They were to take one of the houses also but when they found out it was a mile away they decided to cram into the lodge five rooms. They told me they were putting six kids in the bunk bed room and when I said "That's a tight fit." one of the French kids said "We've seen worse."

No ringtails in a week or two and no skunks in five nights. One of the places I feed the skunks is now completely packed with sand meaning the squirrels have moved in under the porch taking the skunks sacred place where they eat. I'll have to deal with that in the next few days.

Half the French followed me in side by sides to the Wind Caves. Was nice to have all four side by sides back and running for the first time since just before the movie people got here. When I got back the rest were ready to go kayaking so I put them in the river. They went up stream a ways then swung wide and went around the island. The beach doubles in size in two days and will double again the next two days but it's muddy just before you hit water.
Got a call today from a location scout or producer....somebody. They're doing a short ten minute film or commercial and it is shot on Mars. They wanted to know if I had some landscape that looked like Mars. So tomorrow instead of looking for places for people to get killed I'll be wandering around with some guy looking for Mars locations. That should be easy.

It's Tuesday evening as I type this and Jax is sitting out on the sidewalk in the cool breeze of a summer evening watching the comings and goings of the little people. Mostly raccoons on the front porch and fox in the parking lot. It's nice out and everyone is having a real nice time. Some nights it just feels right. Most nights.



No comments: