Monday, June 18, 2018

Monday Morning

Jax and I headed off to do Stairway to Heaven and then the big horn trail under the Anti-Cline but when we got to Stairway it was covered with a fine dust making it a little too slippery for my liking and particularly by myself so we took a climb Linny and I found ten years ago and an alternate to Stairway, sort of a Stairway Two. The Moenkopi is always difficult to hike in and especially climb. It wears in overhangs. Sometimes you can get up overhangs but getting down is not easy. Today we got up a ledge that broke under us preventing a way back down and then it got dicey. I'm not a fan of dicey anymore. I lifted Jax up several ledges and then dragged myself up them. The last one was chance. It looked solid and I tested it with half weight, three quarters weight, four fifths weight and finally made the commitment. There's just that brief moment going over the top that I'm just not sure the Moenkopi is going to hold me. Inching my way over the top to safety I could hear my heart pounding as I lay there trying to catch my breath. No more of that. Jax whimpered I was going to leave him and risking it all again I got about half way back down to him and then he just blew by me like there was nothing to it. Turkey.






No comments: