Friday, September 22, 2023

Jax

Jax had a bad night. His night job is to keep the raccoons from stealing the fox hot dogs and the fox from stealing the raccoons hot dogs. He's so good at it, doesn't happen anymore. So after a few minutes without any of the little people screwing up he falls asleep on the side walk. He's there if I need him though. Most nights I throw him the ceremonial first hot dog of the night shich starts the festivities. Then a gray fox will venture down the hill. Jax will chase him back up the hill then triumphantly turn around and walk back down the hill with the gray fox following about 20 feet behind. The evening feeding has started.
Most nights Jax will eat the cerremonial first hot dog. Then he'll come lick my ankle and I'll throw a second one out there. He's not going to eat it he's going to use it as bait hoping a little person will screw up so he can chase it. When he's really bored and looking for trouble he'll come up on the porch and slowly, sneakily kind of, drift down the porch where the two raccoon bowls are and walk over and start to eat out of whichever bowl has the most raccoons eating out of it forcing them to back up a little because nobody wants to deal with Jax. They have never stood up to him. The Padres are pitching a no hitter going into the ninth inning so I going back and forth from the feeding to the Padres game on tv in the living room. I hear the fight and Jax screaming for help. I grab a broom as I run out on the porch and there are three raccoons on Jax. They jump off the porch seeing me coming as Jax runs by me going the other way. I check him and he's got a nice wound down his stomach and two puncture marks but he's not limping or anything so I don't think he's really injured other than his maybe he's not the bad ass he thought he was. Usually I sleep on one side of the bed and he gets the other by the air condtioner. The last two nights he's slept on my pillow right next to me and while he's always followed me whenever I go someplace but now he does it quickly. Time heals all wounds.

No comments: