Wednesday, July 20, 2022

The Journey

The beater, F-250 broke a leaf spring and I have no way to get it into town as it's too big for the trailer. So, I need the 4th truck back which is in San Diego and Linny's Jeep is here. I talk to Linda and we're going to each drive half way, roughly Mesquite, Nevada. The Jeep had a death wobble problem but seems to be gone so I take off around 5pm and Linda from San Digo closer to 10 or 11pm. The Jeep drives beautifully. When getting passed by semi's it gets knocked around a little as it's so light. 2006 Wrangler. I get off at the Mesquite exit and the rear end sounds horrible. By the time Linda gets there it's only an hour or so until the repair shops open so we take it in. I tell the guy about the problem and ask if he can take a look at it. He says "Yea" then walks away. I follow him and ask him what does "yea" mean. He says "What, I can't understand you." We're like three feet a part. I say "When can you take a look at it?" He says "today" and walks away. I'm waiting to go back to Moab and Linda can't go on to San Diego until it's fixed. I follow him again and say "When today?" and explain the situation. He says "Where you from? I can't understand you?" I say "Moab" He says "After I fix the tire on this truck." We leave to go do a couple deposits at the Wells Fargo down the street and when we get back it's on the lift. He comes over and says "U joint swallewed a cotter pin." I say "You got it." He says "I'm working on it." 30 minutes later he backs it out and says "About $100. I pay, Linda heads for San Diego I head for Moab. I pull in for gas at Beaver County Chevron. I get out to put gas in and a guy comes out and start's cleaning the truck windows. I say "I pull into a full service or something?" He says "You pulled into old school. Doing things the right way."
I'm driving along thinking what a nice day it is but having trouble staying awake with the three hours roughly of sleep I got. Linda calls and says she just got a death wobble and held on for dear life to get over to the side of the freeway.
Linda calls to say that she got pinned between a big semi on both sides of her and bounced around a lot almost getting driven into the next lane and run over.
I'm at a rest stop up in the moutains in the San Rafael Swell. Linda calls and says her phone just sent her a warning of bad weather and it's hailing hard, is pulled over on the side of the freeway but the freeway is flooded and she's getting pushed off the highway in the flood waters.
As I'm leaving the San Rafael Swell and getting close to Green River Linda calls to say, and sends me a picture, of a big yellow spider that came out of the air vent while she was driving. Crushed it with her shoe.
Wow, what a nice drive that was. Linda may not feel the same.

No comments: