Sunday, March 20, 2022

Where the Ghost Foxes Live

 Just to recap the Ghost Foxes over the last two or three years. Jax and I were hiking over by the basket on hole 15 of the original course one day. We heard a white-tailed antelope squirrel sounding the alarm. We looked up and saw a gray fox trying to get under a large boulder to get the antelope squirrel. We watched for ten or fifteen minutes and I took a picture of the gray fox. 



Within a day or two I put the picture on the blog and labeled it a gray fox. People began emailing me that there were three gray foxes in the picture and they were right. All three are somewhat faded and two seem like you can see through them. Jax and I never saw the other two while we were there. Well I never saw the other two and we were there for ten or fifteen minutes watching the one try and get the antelope squirrel. However Jax sees things I don't see and if something is standing still I see things he doesn't see so maybe he saw the other two but I didn't.

We have also heard death a few times in the night as an animal screams, is choked by the throat, gurgles, then gives out one more short scream as it dies. Not long after I posted the picture of the Ghost Foxes, it was night and I was preparing to feed the critter show that takes place on the front porch of the lodge most summer evenings. I went into the lodge hallway to get some food and when I opened the door a fox ran down the hallway, cut left right next to me, and ran outside the front door. I could see through it. I didn't hear any of the guests on the front porch say anything so I assume no one saw it run by them. I ask Linda and Linny to come over by the hall way and told them what I had just seen. They suggested I not say anything because it hadn't been long since I put the ghost fox picture up and people would start thinking I was stranger than they already knew I was. Still I told a couple of the guests.

Now when Jax and I have a few minutes but can't hike far or are waiting for guests to come we hike down the driveway and across the rocks in to the place where the ghost foxes live and explore and track. There are always new smells for Jax and new tracks for me. On this day we found some raccoon scat and Jax followed the trail where he investigated but did not enter the hole. When I get time I'll find the original picture and post it.





No comments: