Sunday, March 6, 2022

Time to Go Home

 Was time to go home. Ze and Gabby loaded Kobae in the truck. 200 pounds and despite having taken the back seat out of the beater F250 the door was still too small so had to lift him sideways. They put him on a towel to get him out of the garage but the towel started tearing so it was the old fashion way to get him in the truck.


Linny says goodbye to Jax and I.


I had forgotten some how much work Kobae was. In this next picture you can see the hose we carry in the beater to get drinking water. I wasn't even 75 miles in to what is normally a 12 to 14 hour journey when I heard Kobae all pissed off banging into things in the back seat of the truck. He had pulled the hose off the rack and he was half way through it but stuck. He tried to get out of it and pulled the bunji cord that was holding it off the wall and it was wrapped around his leg. I pulled over to the side of the freeway about Riverside where traffic was backed up forever as far as you could see in both directions. I had to elevate him to get the bungee cord off him and then push him through the hose all the while he was trying to bale out of the back seat onto the freeway. It was a mighty battle for ten or so minutes. I got everything untangled and threw it in the back of the truck, got back in, got back into traffic of five miles an hour where he promptly took a monster dump in the back seater and smeared it all over. The smell was horrible. I couldn't speed up to get fresh air in because traffic was at all but a standstill trapped between semi fumes coming in the windows. 

We made it to Green River just 50 miles or so from Moab at 11pm. When I turned off on 191 to go into Moab five vehicles in front of me a semi hit a jeep and the road was littered and traffic came to a standstill. The ambulance came quickly into the scene, and five minutes later left slowly. That told me because it's the third time I've been on that road when there was a fatality that the road was going to be blocked for two to three more hours as they weren't going to let people drive by while there were dead people in what was left of the Jeep and the coroner would be called. I flipped a u turn and headed for Colorado where I took the 128 and came back that way. It added about two hours to my journey and when I got into town Hwy 191 still wasn't open. I got back to the lodge at 2:30am. 18.5 hours of driving. I covered Kobae up with blankets and went to bed. Came out in the morning and Collin made a ramp down from the truck to the ground. A little while later I walked outside and he had come down the ramp and was eating.




No comments: