Friday, May 14, 2021

Perfect

 There was a lady staying here sort of drifting through life. Still young, trying to find herself, figure out who she was, who she wanted to be, where she wanted to be. We were sitting on the porch. The temperature was perfect. Three of the 60s or so VW vans had formed a triangle to camp behind the solar panels. They were set up and from the porch I could hear American Pie drifting softly up the hill. On the back porch was a daughter with her dad. They owned or ran a music store somewhere and they would play their violins and mandolins together and make beautiful music. On the front porch were two of the nicest couples possible and I'd hear a beer can open occasionally as they told stories and laughed. Male house finches were singing from the trees and bushes and the cowbirds are back making their R2D2 sounds. A single yellow-headed blackbird would talk occasionally. She said "Perfect." I thought "Yes, it is."

We stopped to sit on a rock while hiking. There was a 360 view, every direction. The last of the rental side by sides went by us headed to town. Usually the rentals have to be turned in by 5pm and the place clears out. It's unlikely you'll see anybody on the way to the Wind Caves and Chicken Corner. As the last side by side went over the pass there was only the sound of a few rock finches around us. She said "Perfect." I thought "She's right."
That evening a few raccoons came out, and a couple of foxes drifted down from the hill. But a few crickets were chirping. The Milky Way is beginning to form, little more each night and the sky was filled with stars. She said "Perfect." I said "It is isn't it?
She ask me to drive her out and I had a wounded/fixed vehicle in town so I drove her vehicle in and she dropped me of at Nations. She said "Thank you. I know who I want to be and what I want." She drove off to look for "who" and "what". 

Perfect.
                                             





No comments: