Thursday, May 13, 2021

Across the River

 About three weeks ago people started showing up across the river. Apparently it closed escrow. I figured since it had been under contract for about a year that the new buyer figured out that he was paying a couple million or so too much and was trying to wiggle out of it or get concessions that would reduce the price to close to what it's worth, or what I think it's worth.




At first there was what seemed like a cleaning crew. Then the next weekend a propane truck pulled up and that tells me somebody is moving in. The next weekend nothing. I thought I might get a call from the real estate agent saying the deal fell through. If I'd bought it I'd be there 24/7 getting it up and running and learning as much as I could and that's always been the case. But maybe somebody has enough money that they're just not in a hurry to get any return back. This week they've been moving in but all the unloading is going on in the big building which had a kitchen set up, three bedrooms, and a rec room. The building was designed for hosting events and that seems to be their priority. Nothing is going on at the three bedroom house in the rocks. The vehicles are a mixture of new and old. At first all I saw was new so I thought it was corporate but now it seems to be family and corporate. Today they are moving stuff into the rec center and it's old and new trucks both.

Then I do get a call from the real estate agent that did the deal across the river. She wants to know if I have anything on this side of the river I want to sell. I'm shocked that somebody would think I might want to sell. She has somebody that might be interested in some or all. I give her a hard no immediately. She says "I hope we can still be friends." I watched the place across the river for years. Took Johnny back and forth for groceries when he was working over there and the only thing I ask was for first right of refusal which the agent and sellers verbally and in writing told me they would give me when they were done suing each other. I called to see if they were done and said I'd like to make an offer and they told me it was under contract. I can't say I would have paid what I heard it sold for but I don't know because they never ask. It's bullshit and irritating. Then she says that the new neighbors will be contacting me in the next few weeks. They want to be good neighbors. I don't know them but it feels weird to see if I want to sell something. Maybe they have a water rights issue on that side. I don't.




No comments: