Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Just a Day

I just finished Day Two of getting the lodge garage organized. I think I two more days before I get it right. I can't put the night food out until the last two pair of ravens fly over on their way home in The Fingers. That just a few minutes before the sun goes down behind Pyramid Butte and there's about a ten degree instant temperature change.
While the days are short I've mostly always been in a habit of waking up to the sunrise and with it hitting the lodge right around 9am. I am getting to sleep in late finally except it means I do administrative stuff until 2am like now so not sure I'm gaining any real sleep.
It's cold when it gets dark so I'm not hanging around outside waiting for everybody to show up. I over stock their feeding places with hot dogs and spread some around the parking area and then return every hour or so and restock them. Only going through about 30 to 40 hot dogs a night.
Only two raccoons are showing up. They do this every winter for whatever reason. It can't be cause they're cold. They should be plenty warm as fat as they all are. During the movie one of the female crew ask me to walk her to her trailer because there was a bear on the porch and when we went outside it was a pregnant raccoon. They're bigger now than they were when they were pregnant. I'll be joining them if Jax doesn't get back. I've done very little hiking in a month.

I've had three ringtails for quite awhile but I might have four now. I saw three at a time last night and later another one. It could have been the youngest one a second time, I'm not sure, They usually don't come back a second time. It wouldn't take a hot dog off the stick either of the two nights and just kept staring at me until I threw a hot dog to it. Both times caught it on the first throw.

Other than the Hayduker coming through on Sunday I haven't seen any people for four days and it's pretty nice weather.


No comments: