Saturday, June 22, 2019

Missing

A few weeks ago Heather sent me this:

FINLEY AND OLIVER ARE MISSING

Finley and Oliver ran away from camp at 6:30am on 6/6. We spent the following two days tracking them.

The Dogs are still missing. Oliver (Golden) and Finley (Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pitbul mix) were last seen just north of Lockhart Canyon at 6:30am on Thursday. Attempts to track brought us to a side canyon about 1/2 way down Lockhart (SEE GOOGLE EARTH FILE IN GOOGLE DRIVE). The canyon has rock steps up to a bench which we confirmed they reached but ran out of daylight/water to continue the search. We are en route home to rehab.

I will return on 6/8 to perform a foot search on Sunday (6/9) beginning at 6:30am. Terrain is rugged and infrequently traveled.

If you are interested and able to help with the foot search, that would be great. Your help is valued. Know that you will need to be comfortable operating on your own and will be responsible for yourselves. Lockhart Basin is extremely remote and rugged. If you are not already used to traveling these types of area you may want to stay home.

Temperatures are expected to be in the 90s with low humidity. I recommend bringing 2 gallons of water per person per day. There is a lot of cheat grass. Wear long pants. Bring sunscreen, bug spray and food.

If you plan on hiking, know that the terrain is confusing and it is easy to get turned around. I would strongly recommend that anyone hiking has a GPS, Satellite Communicator and 2m radio. If you do not have one. It would be best to link up with someone who does.

Access should be obtained from the SOUTH end of the Lockhart basin trail. This is the fastest and smoothest access. High Clearance 4x4 is required. Extra fuel is recommended. I recommend 15 gallons extra for an average 4x4. Depending on how much back and forth driving you do, you may need more or less. I recommend traveling in pairs if possible. A tracklog for the trail can be found here. https://funtreks.com/off-road-trails/lockhart-basin/

Here is another trail description.
https://www.trails.com/…/canyonlands-na…/lockhart-basin-road

Here is a KMZ showing what we have discovered to date.
https://drive.google.com/open…

I intend to camp at this coordinate. It's a large well pad/mining site in the canyon. I do not know when I will arrive but will likely be there around 8pm. I will post in this thread when I leave Grand Junction.
38.339973, -109.684355

I likely need to leave on Sunday afternoon but anyone is welcome to continue on if we are not successful. I will be able to monitor continuously through the week.

COMMS will be on 146.460 and CB30.

Lastly. I need to focus on the search and can not coordinate or baby sit other people. If there are things that can be done, posting signs, relaying etc. feel free to offer. DO NOT BECOME THE SUBJECT OF YOUR OWN RESCUE!!!
_______________________________________________________________________________

I would like to have participated in that search but I can't leave the lodge. The bike breaks down while I'm 20 miles away I'm not here for people checking in later in the day and I could have been valuable taking the trials bike places they can't go.

Then a few days ago at the intersection to Lockhart Basin and Chicken Corner I find this. The clock is ticking and time is running out.


No comments: