Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Sunday of Discovery

Joel is one of the geologist who has been showing up for the last couple years working out at Jackson Hole just north of here. There initial aim was to determine when the river broke through the rock and came straight through instead of going around what is now called Jackson Butte and I think they've decided it was right at 130,000 years ago that the river quit going around Jackson Hole and broke straight through. I found out that the gravel pit next door has been determined to be 60,000 years old.

We spent Sunday looking at stuff on the way out to Jackson Hole and I took him to different kinds of unusual rock formations on the way out. As we were leaving the property and on the way out the gate he said "A sign that says Crusty Tom." I'd seen a metal sign lying in pieces but I never really put it together or paid much attention ot it but Sunday evening while Jax and I were out hiking and I was cutting branches sticking out into the trail I put the pieces of the sign together and found "Crusty Bottom". There are other names along the river that end with bottom and apparently as one time something in this direction did the same. I don't know the origination but I'm going to see if I can find out.


No comments: