Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Wednesday Morning Close Call

It was real foggy as I was walking across the driveway with my hands full of critter food. It was quiet, no critters, no birds. I heard a noise by the garage and just as I turned to look something came at me head high and I moved my head just in time. It made a sharp right turn at the feeding area just behind me and then behind the Cottonwood tree and down to the river. It all happened in maybe two or three seconds and it was gone. I don't know if it was aiming for me or just came around the corner so sharp and I was in the way. Too fast for a hawk, to small for the American Kestral I've been seeing. I've been going through the birds of prey books for the last hour or so and I'm going to say it was either a Peregrine falcon or a Northern Harrier. I watch the songbirds and wonder what kind of life it must be to have to be on constant watch for your life for the five to six predator attacks that come each day and the 30 to 50 false alarms that go with it. I may be finding out.




No comments: