Saturday, January 10, 2015

Names

It took me two hours to get to the top but much of that was searching for the safest route so I can build on it and one hour and twenty minutes to get to the bottom of what I've been calling the Kane Creek Anti-Cline. I can probably do that from the road in an hour and a half now and eventually probably a little over an hour once I get the trail developed. Today I've been going through my maps, books, and online materials to search for things I should look for in future trips up there except most of them are calling the Anti-Cline right in front of me the Cane Creek Anti-Cline and really no for sure name to what I've been calling the Kane Creek Anti-Cline. The road up there is called the Kane Creek Canyon Rim Road, right around there is the Behind the Rocks area so to keep the confusion down as it it's possible I'm going to call it the Kane Creek Canyon East Rim.

Different names for stuff around here is not unusual. On the Latitude 40 map Chicken Corner and The Grotto are both shown at the wrong location. On the National Geographic map Chicken Corner is shown at the wrong location and Catacomb Rock (Wind Caves) physically the formation is shown at the wrong location. Charles Wells "Backroads & 4Wheel Drive Trails has Chicken Corner in the wrong location as does his ATV Trails Guide Moab, Ut and they both call it Chicken Corners, really just one corner. Utah Trails shows something near the end of the trail called Chicken Rocks? I pointed out to one of Charles Wells checkers that I ran into during the Kobae MIA days and in fairness Charles himself showed up the next day, couldn't believe everybody was wrong and said he'd fix it with the next printing, in two years.

When I got here Jackson Ladder was Jacobs Ladder until I really read up on it and it seems like there was a push to change it after the move Jacobs Ladder came out but frankly Jacob never did anything while the Jackson's ran cows and horses up and down it for many years.

My favorite is Dead Horse Point where the story is the cowboys ran some fence across a narrow portion of the area, never gave the horses water and they died or jumped to the Colorado River below. I think the Indians started it. Of course the cowboys say that's what the Indians did. I tell people in the 1800s there was a house of ill repute in Moab and the Mormon wives took all the hookers up there and threw them off and so it's not really Dead Horse Point, it's mislabeled, it's really Dead.....well you know. However if you're up there someday. Look down below you and in white rock you'll see the outline of a huge horse complete with head, legs, tail and everything in the landscape. That's what I'm guessing got it going.

So as long as I'm doing this and exploring all the time there will be some mislabeling now and again until I can sort it all out and go with my best guess. I'll go back and change all the Kane Creek headings.

No comments: