Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Kane Creek East Rim: (Day Three)

Now knowing the way up I got there in plenty of time to see if I could reach it. There are lots of switchbacks on what's left of the mining trails and somewhere along the way I missed the turn I needed to get the most elevation on the trail before venturing off trail. I wandered around up there for 45 minutes and then hiked all the way down to the bottom for 30 minutes to start over. I wore different boots today than yesterday so I did what I could to follow yesterday tracks and finally found it. Another 45 minutes used up and now even if I'm accurately predicting how long it's going to take me to get to the top I'm going to probably be short on daylight. To measure how much daylight you have, extend your arm fully, extend your hand sideways and take the top finger and put it in line with the bottom of the sun. Keep adding extended arms and hands below that one until you reach the landscape where the sun will set. Roughly each hand between the bottom of the sun and the ground is one hour of daylight, or 15 minutes per finger, the thumb don't count. It works no matter your age or size as the hand is proportionate to the arm.

No comments: