Saturday, January 20, 2024

Jackson Ladder and Jackson Hole

I had estimated that the bottom of Jackson Ladder was about the half way mark. We finished the first canteen and at the same time I pulled a muscle in my right leg. Additionally there was a shooting pain just above my ankle. Still when we got to the Pot Ash Plant I was feeling pretty good. We used up another half a canteen on the couple mile uphill from Jackson Hole. Then the right leg started to lock up and still three or so miles away I started losing my balance and with the right leg pain I could only do a mile or so an hour which delayed the journey and drank up the rest of the water. When we got to the abandoned oil well I thought I was going to make it ok but had a tough time coming down the Jackson Road from the difficult ledge.
I was starting to drift all over the road from dehydration. At one pretty level spot I walked backwards nearly ten steps trying to gain my balance back. I called Thomas on the walkie and told him to take the truck and start driving the Jackson Hole road and right as he came around the corner I fell pretty hard. I had him flip a U-turn 50 or so feet in front of me. I struggled over and dragged myself in to the truck and he gave me a ride back to the lodge probably the last mile and a half from the lodge. I've done that hike before with one canteen but this time I didn't make it with two. Going to increase the water capacity on the next long hike, but it's going to be a few days.

No comments: