Friday, January 27, 2023

Michael Kelsey and Wash Johnson

Michael Kelsey is amazing. He's written, and re-written a lot of books. Canyonlands National Park and Vicinity and River Guide to Canyonlands National Psrk. He has lots of other books but these two are my favorite. He picks an area and learns everything about it for as far back as he can find. He prints a certain amount of them and then over how ever many years when he starts to run out he goes back and double checks everything that has changed and adds the changes keeping the past. There are more pages in the Second Edition and the type gets a little smaller and then he prints a bunch of them and in some more years when he starts to run low the process repeats itself with updates, it's a moving history of the area as he documents the area. He's come by a couple times in the starting 17th year starting this February. You can't find his books in parks and the like because when he hikes a trail he says it takes an hour but the rest of the world it takes 90 minutes to two hours. Kelsey can hike. He showed up one day and I told him about some stuff I found that I didn't care if the word got out. I told him to get in the side by side and I'd show him. He said he'd rather do it himself. Later that day I found his vehicle a mile from Base Camp parked, he'd hiked the whole 12 miles. Another time he came by to ask me what had changed or what had I found. I told him he could have a room and we'd go out in the morning. He didn't want a ride or a room, he'd do it in the morning. Later that evening I had to go do a rescue at the Wind Caves and I drove right past his vehicle with him sleeping in the back.

The first time Kelsey came by he ask me if Wash Johnson's cabin was still down in the tamarisk. I said "where? He pointed out the window into my backyard. After he left I hike down into the tamarish and found a few boards here and there but I just hiked down there a couple days ago with Jax and the tamarish is finally dying and much of what use to be there is coming back. Prommel Oil Well is just to the entrance of Jackson Hole and when it went out of business Wash Johnson bought it and with horses pulled the cabin to it's current location. There Wash trapped foxes for a living.

No comments: