Monday, January 23, 2023

Hike to Jackson Hole

Got up to aboutt 40 today and can't miss hiking on a day like this. Before the snow a Jeep came by to use the bathroom and said they were going to Jackson Hole. I ask them to let me know if they saw any cows out there so I could pass it on to the cowboys who have pushed the herd down Lockhart Basin. They came back and said they saw two brown cows. Since Jax and I were hiking today anyway might as well head down to the pipeline and see if there's anymore before I call them and they come out to get the two and then I find more later. Tje road has really deteriorated so we drove the truck as far as we could without possibly getting stuck. Jax and I are the only two here and if we get stranded way out there we've no one to walkie to come get us. Was too cold to take a side by side. Almost immediately we found three black calves.
Heading down into Jackson Hole the wind immediately picked up and was driving into our faces. I kept thinking how nice it would be on the way back.
Jax is such a good guy. He doesn't ask if he could. But today he knows we're looking for cattle and he's pick up the scent every half mile or so. I feel bad he has to wait for me all the time.
Sun was going behind the clouds and of course the wind changed direction to be in our faces again on the way back and I was drinking canteens qucker than I ex[pected. Time to go back. we never found anymore cattle but Jax kept telling me they were out there.

No comments: