Wednesday, August 25, 2021

The Weather Started Getting Rough

 Linny and I headed back to the lodge to see if there had been any contact with Heather or those with her. I had told them before they got in, no matter what don't get out on my side of the river because there's no road until you get to Base Camp. We get just a short whisper of a call saying Heather and family are trapped on this side of the river but not sure where yet. I have two dryers in the back of the truck so we unload them in the kitchen as the wind and rain have really picked up and we may have to head somewhere and will need all the truck we can get.

Occasionally I get a call, then cut off, and Heather is mostly having luck talking to Beth in San Diego who relays messages to us. I get an email showing they are trapped on the other side of the river a mile or so from the Pot Ash boat ramp. I can't get. I start calling boat companies in town to see if they can go get them but it's a full blown storm now and they have all closed and gone home for the day. I'm calling everyone I can think of that has a boat to go get them. I get a message they have been rescued by some guys doing fish surveys.

The next info is they are being transferred to town and we're to meet them at one of the hotels. The rain is coming hard now but Linny and I head out in both of the F150s. Not even half way up Hurrah Pass neither of us can see out the window. The rain is hard and the wipers set for full speed can't keep up. I call Linny on the walkie and tell her to find a place to turn around. We're never be able to get across Kane Creek and might not even make it back to the lodge.
I call Heather and tell her we're not coming. Can't get out. They get to the hotel, get a room, and the hotel lets them put the kayaks in a non used conference room.

As they are getting settled into the hotel they run across Johnny who use to work here and stayed at Caveman Ranch all those years who now works at the hotel.




No comments: