Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Found Someone

 I'm driving to town to get water, groceries, and critter food driving through one of the many floods we've had recently that have destroyed the road which we've pieced back together. Flood waters went right over the bridge at Hunter Creek. I've been thinking the person that is going to want to come out here and work taking Linny and Linda's places is probably going to be somebody wanting to just get away and start their life over.

I'm coming back from town and there's a woman walking on the side of the road with a fishing pole on her shoulder. I'm thinking, this is weird, will probably work out but I don't stop. I keep driving. I'm thinking that was her. Why didn't I stop? I'm a mile past when I flip a U turn and head back. She's just cutting through the fence to head to the river. I pull up and and say. "You looking for a job? Live at The Land." She says "Nope, don't live at The Land but I've heard of it. Just moved here from Salt Lake. Staying with my dad who has some medical problems." I say "I need someone to work at the lodge another 13 or so miles from here." She says "Ain't me." Then starts walking toward the river. I drive down a few hundred feet and hear one of those two fingers in your mouth whistles. I flip a U turn and head back. She walks back to the road and says "When you need someone?" I say "Next week." She says, "Come see me in a day or two and let's talk about it. I live right over there." Pointing.
I said "I'm headed back to the lodge now. You can come work for a day or two and see if you like it." She says "Mister, I don't know you. I ain't getting in no truck with you. I got to talk to my dad about it. Come back in a day or two." As I'm driving back to the lodge I'm thinking "I'm in Mayberry. I just met a female Opie, heading to the river to fish and she can whistle." I get back and tell Linda and Linny who are headed to town the next day where to go to talk to her. They did, set a time to pick her up, her dad called me and ask me some questions then said he knew me and it was good with him. Yesterday, Tuesday, I picked her up in town at 8am and grilled her for an hour coming out to the lodge and at the end of the day, everybody feels good about it. So, I have somebody, Kate. After I talked to her we all came to an agreement. I walked in to the office, sat down at the computer and there were six emails from people interested in working here so I'm assuming my help request showed up on the Facebook page. I emailed everyone back this morning I have someone but I'll hold onto emails for some possible future date but for the moment, I think we're good.




No comments: