Friday, May 17, 2019

I Saw Linny Today, Twice

It's hard to even explain the last three days. Linny didn't have any scenes so she was working either for the lodge or for the movie company and I was just fighting to keep things going. 38 bags of trash I took to town on Monday and 26 more on Wednesday. I picked up a 55 gallon drum on Wednesday and filled it with gas for generators and vehicles and it was all gone almost immediately and a trash run will have to be done in the morning again. I was keeping it in the back of my truck but the ravens got it and when I put a tarp over it the ravens took the tarp off. So anybody that goes to town in a truck takes trash.

One Kymco is down and in town. Another broken at the bottom of the driveway. One Polaris is running rough and the passenger door on Linny's jeep is beat up and won't open. The vehicles are taking a beating. When I get in them to drive them they don't even feel familiar.

A ringtail has appeared the last three nights right after I gave up. Two raccoons followed me in the kitchen to see what was taking so long with getting the hot dogs out and there was a mini skunk fight again but no spraying this time. Lot of foxes returning. I hear people speaking softly about me and all the little people that come to eat at night. They're a little confused about why I've made friends with so many of them, to them, it sounds dangerous.

88 degrees for three days in a row and the river rose a lot but it's dropping back down again with the high today of 64. I think we're going to make it without flooding but it's not over.

Stunt people showed up the other day and I heard them talking about how things better be right and nice and cool when they get to the fight scene in the Wind Caves. I told them the caves remain 55 or so degrees year round. "You guys should be able to gut that out for a day eh?"

The reviews from everyone about the two chefs that have set up in the Last Hurrah Garage are fabulous. They've approached me about turning it into a full time eatery. The Last Hurrah Garage. They say adventure dining is a big thing now and think it would kick butt in the garage. It's tempting but I'm tired of fronting a bunch of money over and over for improvements but if anybody could do it, it's these two.

Linny when not filming is shuttling people around to locations and doing some cleaning for the lodge. I'm still pumping water from the pond into the holding tanks nearly everyday it's being used up so fast. An hour or so as I was leaving the pond and headed back to the lodge in the truck I saw Linny's Jeep coming from the other way. We pulled up next to each other to see how the other one has been the last few days. It was nice getting to talk in person versus on the walkie talkies where we do most of our communicating.I'm still on the floor in the office and she's in the new hogan on the hill or a tent up there.

Continuity, Thursday filming was cancelled because there was no continuity. Scenes aren't necessarily filmed in order, much depends on the actor or actresses time schedule or even production people. Some fly in and others out so scenes are set around their schedules. It has to be maddening to whoever is trying to sort it out. So the first part of a scene had been filmed in nice weather on a nice day, so had the third part. Then as they are filming the second part 40 to 50 mile gusts of wind come up and they can't explain the lack of continuity so they cancelled filming and today was a day off. Most went to Moab. Linny took a bunch of them. She is the requested choice for Moab trips because she has so much experience with the pass and the road. Everyone is amazed at her driving skills getting in and out.

Now, a day of filming behind and with only six more days left at the lodge they're about a day and a half behind on filming. I thought Linny was about done with her scenes but I've seen posting about at least two more scenes. One she dies in. It's a tear jerker.

I did errands in town yesterday after dropping trash and one of the catering guys went with me. He buys a dark bandana to wear over his face for the dust, a dark cowboy hat which he pulls down so only his eyes are showing, and he's black. He comes out of Walker Drug looking like he just robbed the place with dark glasses on and says "I think they figured out I'm not from around here." On the drive back there are a few vehicles pulled over here and there and I pull over each time to see if they need help. They look at Ronnie and just wave me to keep going assuming they are about to get robbed. I'm explaining things to him about the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) and he thinks I'm talking about Black Lives Matter.

It's almost midnight and I've still got to go pull the pumps and hoses from the pond and since we're a day and a half behind the next four days breakfast and casting call are at 4am and after make up they hope to have everybody in the fingers by 5 to 5:30am for 12 hours of filming each day.

I've got to admit I began this thinking most of them wouldn't have a work ethic but I was wrong. The director weeded out the crybabies in the beginning and he has a dedicated crew in every aspect.

I'm falling asleep over and over as I type this so I'm going to bed, or floor, or mattress, but to sleep for sure.

1 comment:

Rachel Crane said...

Sound like you are working like a dog and having fun. Don’t keel over from a heart attack.