Friday, October 28, 2022

Jax and I, Our Turn

Sunday night I had one check in left. Rain was coming and not done with us yet. I saw headlights coming down Hurrah Pass and right when I got to them to have them follow us to the north side it started hailing and when we pulled down the driveway it was a white winter wonderland. They followed us next door, I gave them the basics and then headed back for the lodge before the north side creek washed out. I was relieve to see it was still there and the creek hadn't cut into the road. At that moment the road collapsed and the front two wheels dropped into oblivian. I tried backing up and going forward but the front wheel had fallen in deep enough we were high centered. As I looked out the window of the truck I could see the water intensity picking up. The wash out was getting wider and deeper and if we didn't get out of the truck now and it fell anymore we wouldn't be able to open the doors so Jax and I bailed. I called the lodge and ask Teresa to bring me more tow straps but then realized the creek was washed out over there also and she wouldn't be able to get here so I called the Conso and ask them to come to pull me from that direction but by the time they got here the washout had increased in size and there was no recuing the truck. Then Jax jumps inside tired of getting hailed on and I have to lean in the truck to get him out thinking its going away at any second but I get him out and he jumps right back in again and one more time I have to get back in the truck to pull him out. The truck moves slightly. We're out. I close the door and see this below me.
Within five minutes it's twice as deep and the water twice as fast. Everyone was working to get tow straps on it but it was too late. It was going to go away. I told everyone to forget the rescue effort and it was at the mercy of the storm. Maybe it will be here in the morning and maybe not. I doubted it. I walkied the lodge and said I was catching a ride to the house which had gone vacant earlier in the day and Jax and I stayed there. In the morning at first light we hiked back to the lodge and not expecting to see the truck. It turned out the creek got deeper but didn't get any wider so the truck was straddling the creek with the front bumper holding on just barely.
It was late in the day before finding away around the deep creek washout and getting back to Base Camp.

No comments: