Friday, December 14, 2018

Some, Crazy Stuff

I should know better. Whenever I think I've got the little people of nature figured out they surprise me. There is a new ringtail, pretty small. It snaps at the hot dog it's so happy to see it when the stick with the hot dog on it comes. Usually it only gets half the hot dog because the bite is so vicious the bottom half falls to the porch. It's learning to slide the hot dog off the marsh mellow stick. My favorite part which it doesn't even seem to notice is the other ringtails are so curious about it and come watch it snatch the hotdogs and mostly swallow without chewing. It's complete fascination.

I brought my seventh load of wood back so far this month and all the fire pits and fireplaces are full and the back porch is filling up. If Linny doesn't come back in March I'm on my own and I have to figure out how far ahead I can get on things that will become time consuming later on.
The cows have all been pushed out of Jackson Hole to almost the turnoff to Lockhart Basin so probably I can put the trials bike in the garage, couple more rides maybe. They've closed the gate on the road to Hurrah.

When I went down to check on the kayaks I saw bobcat footprints going down to the river. That solves what everyone is scared of. I came back to the lodge, in the office, sat down, saw movement outside. There, with dark black hair and pointed ears was the bobcat walking softly and cautiously up the driveway. I crept out to see if I could open the door and get a picture but when I stepped out on the porch it was gone. I put the camera in my pocket turned around and there it was on the porch staring at me, no fear in it's eyes. Only 30 or so pounds but all business.

It will kick the raccoons butt, fly up the pole and get the ringtail, and chase down the fox. With night I walked out on the porch, no one was around. The moon was eerie behind the clouds and barely showing itself. I moved my head to guide the headlamp around the perimeter. On the hill there were green eyes. I know the blue eyes of the deer, the white eyes of the fox, the yellow eyes of the raccoon, the red eyes of the coyote and now I know the green eyes.

I heard a scratching violent noise against the back porch window and walked out to see a Sharp-shinned fighting with it's reflection in the window. Flying in place with legs extended, claws out, and flailing away at it's reflection. It retreated when I walked up to it.

The next day I heard it again and when I opened the back door it was going at it's reflection again. When I pulled the camera out it took off.

Now, walking around doing chores with the GoPro on my head all the time is a little irritating but it has paid off. Where we are now is she's pretty sure I am protecting the reflection hawk inside the lodge. When she lands in the trees and bushes now she's not facing the feeding areas, she's facing the lodge, and she's not happy. I talk to her, she talks back.

She's moved up to the Desert Willow right on the front porch looking in the windows but apparently not at an angle that she reflects in.

Today, Friday there were no birds moving in the bushes so I know she's here, but where.


No comments: