Tuesday, December 18, 2018

Off Season

I was switching channels last night between working on propane heaters so I have a couple extra when one goes out and saw the winter baseball meetings were going on in Vegas. It occurred to me it's kind of like that here to. It's the down time, I have no revenue coming in and I'm spending big to make sure I have a successful year.

Disc Golf: I sent the check to Innova so some time in the next couple weeks 18 more baskets should show up and sometime in the next couple months Doug Smith and some players will come down and set up a second 18 holes. It will be difficult to match some of the epic holes that are here now but it's all new terrain so I suppose anything is possible. The 9th and 10th of March are the dates for this year's tournament. I have set aside all the hogans, rooms, and houses for the 8th and 9th for disc golfers. If you want something the sooner you let me know the better.

Vehicles: I lost a considerable amount of money last year on the side by sides. The most expensive of the repairs were guest messing up the two Kymco's. I'll be doing the math in the next week or so but I'm going to have to raise the price on vehicles to I don't know how much yet until I see what the final damage is. I'm having one more six seater delivered in the next few weeks and I've put the two Kymco's up for sale.

Energy: It's going to be ugly but there is nowhere near enough power next door so there are tens of thousands of dollars worth of new panels and equipment coming in. It's going to be massive and hopefully done by the end of February.

Water: It's real good over here and still need some improvement at Last Hurrah. I need to find a way to route water faster from the river, to settling tank, through filters to holding tanks. When Last Hurrah is busy 3,000 gallons of holding tank water goes pretty quickly.

I had water issues over here at the lodge when the well went dry and the washing machine busted about the same time. So put in a 1700 gallon holding tank with a jet pump. Whenever the pressure falls the jet pump kicks on and drains water out of the extra holding tank and keeps the flow to the lodge even. Turns out that after we quit using the washing machine the well mostly filled back up and the water issues went away but still I'm glad I have the back up.

That just left the washer and dryer at the main house. Then the main house started renting a lot and sometime we couldn't get in it for a week or two so we went to town and bought extra sheets, cases, and comforters, then there was hardly any room in the office to hold all that stuff.

I bought an extra washer and dryer and put them in the garage. Found a separate water supply for the washer that didn't drain the holding tanks so that was a big help but there's not enough power to run the dryer at that site. So taking the dryer back to town and getting a propane dryer.

Sheets were always getting messed up and hard to sort out we were so busy all the time so now king is one color, queen another, doubles, one more and singles too. It's coming together.

Doug, former owner of next door, is telling me the hogan up on the hill above the Base Camp hogans is almost done and ask if I'd rent it out for him and we worked out a split so the workload just went up even more.

I'm going to a couple hockey games with Linny soon and we'll discuss the next year. If Linny doesn't come back I'll be in real trouble and looking for help, and based on this coming year's bookings which are way ahead of last year, which beat the year before by an incredible amount, which doubled the year before that, looks like I'll need it.

I'm going to take off a few days this year so I'm going to need somebody to watch the place for a few days and up to a week periodically. If either of these last two paragraphs interest you let me know.

Tom


No comments: