Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Week Off

I don't know. Got everybody out of Kane Creek and when I got back I noticed I didn't have any guests scheduled for a week so I felt like reading a book, and then another, and another and for the last week I just read and cleaned every day. Went to town once to get groceries and take some to Johnny across the river. Other than that, didn't go anywhere, or even pick up a camera. But, even without going anywhere stuff has happened over the last week or so. The batteries overheated in the solar and had to skip the batteries and run solar straight from the generator to the lodge. Holy cow, that was a lot of power that had to go somewhere so I ask everyone to turn their air conditioners on high. Still, I put four pieces of bread in the toaster and five seconds later they popped up smoking and black. Got it sorted out though. Some people pull up on dirt bikes and an ATV. We're walking around the lodge and they ask me about Caveman Ranch across the river and I'm starting to explain I'm just watching the place until the family sorts everything out and then the lady who was on the ATV points across the river and says "What's that?" I look across the river and there's a mountain lion walking over towards the garage area. Johnny is just up the stairs sitting outside smoking a cigarette and drinking a beer. I have the binoculars and everybody is yelling at him and the lady has a real loud whistle while I try to raise him on the walkie. Johnnie has the radio on and is singing "Girl Crush" or something and can't hear us. Two deer take off down the runway and we don't see the mountain lion again. About 7pm the porch lights come on so at least I know Johnny didn't get eaten or the mountain lion has figured out the light switches. Next day I ask Johnny why he didn't have the walkie on and he says "Saving batteries." I knew there was a mountain lion here because the cat came up and told me. Ok John. About a week ago the food bowl started going completely empty by morning every day. A fifth Gray fox has shown up. Very small and very afraid. It walks around the lodge all night growling. Not a real growl, more like it's cleaning it's throat. None of the regular ringtails have been showing up as a result except for a new real small one who once it reaches here sleeps up in the rafters after getting it's hot dogs until morning when it can see the coast is clear and then heads back down to the river. The Gray fox makes one more sweep my here every morning around 7:30 or 8. It chased a white-tailed antelope squirrel under the porch but when the white-tailed got cover and turned to sound the warning to the others the fox growled at it as if it was scared. So it is every morning. The new small ringtail comes to the water bowl first every night and takes a bath. When I walk out with the first hot dogs of the night there always wet tracks (all four) going under the porch and then again down the porch to the food bowl and by morning what water is left in the bowl is brown dirty. Three nights ago right out side the office window I heard the ringtail scream as if in pain and I figured a fox had got it but the next night there were the tracks and my friend up in the rafters.

No comments: