Monday, December 18, 2023

Dripping Springs, The Mines

On this day Jax and I headed back to visit the mines in Dripping Springs. Years ago I hiked to one of them with a friend and his sons. A lighting storm came about so we stayed in the mine for shelter. I took a picture of him sitting on a box with his sons. When we got back and I went to put the picture on the blog I noticed the big foot locker said "dynamite" on it. From when they did most of the mines back here was in the 50s so the dynamite was 60 or so years old. I told the BLM about it and another one that was part way down Lockhart Basin also had dynamite in it. Some years went by and the BLM showed up one day and said did you hear the big explosion yesterday? I said I did not and he said we blew up that dynamite in the mine down Lockhart Basin you told us about. I ask about the other one in Dripping Springs and he didn't seem to remember me telling them about that one. I told them let me hike back there and see if it's still there before you get a crew together. A week or so later I hiked back and the dynamite box was gone. Maybe it didn't have dynamite in it. I'd prefer not to think about somebody carrying 60 year old dynamite down that road from the mine. I would have heard that explosion.
With our late start we got within a half mile of the mine but I didn't think we'd make it back by dark so it will have to wait for another day. The best part of the day? Last week I got my white truck back which had been in the shop for months. It's a 2000 F-150 and parts are getting hard to find but since it's back I'm taking advantage of it and I got to spend the day with my truck and my dog. Doubt it gets better than that.

No comments: