Friday, March 27, 2020

Kobae Goes Hiking, Not Very Far

Kobae came out around noon and mostly blocked the door. I laid down on the stairs in front of him in the nice sunshine and got an hour or so worth of sleep. Earlier in the day I'd gotten a screen shot of all the Facebook posts and comments about the whole disaster from someone I knew. Later I got another set and some of them were different or missing meaning the perpetrators had gone back and changed their post or deleted it. When that happens you know they were just making shit up. If they were such warriors of the truth then why change what you said?
The most disturbing part reading the posts, the one that started it all was somebody that I worked with and respected on the horror movie last year. It was stated that the movie crew was staying in town and eating and drinking out of the hotel's dining facility. That wasn't true. They were under the same rules as everybody else. The restaurant was closed except for takeout and room service and that's what they got, plus a bunch of them were staying with me. With that post things took off in every direction going after the restaurant, after the hotel, after anybody working with them and on and on. I was surprised that they hadn't gone after me yet. I had heard previously that in the past when the poster didn't get picked for a film in the area that they would bad mouth it. I didn't believe it but this certainly points toward that. It was posted as an informational bulletin of sorts but had done all the homework calling the health department and whoever they could to make sure that they had permits with their passing interest. Four hours later Kobae moved about ten feet down the porch.
With all the precautions this crew took and almost every day confirming that their permits were good before proceeding any further, bringing their own food, own toilet paper and paper towels, putting no strain or stress on the city, and then moving all operations out to me to make the locals happy and for them to still go after them is complete bullshit or Punk Ass Weenie-ism. This should have been the blue print for the way to get the movie business going again with as careful as they were on everything instead of the madness that the citizens fueled one after the other. There were a few people that tried to get them to calm down saying that the health department knew more than they did and to trust in them but there was very little of that. By 6pm Kobae had moved to the west end of the porch to get the last rays of sun.
Almost 50 years ago I was guarding Lt. William Calley of the My Lai massacre at the stockade at Fort Benning Georgia. He had his own quarters outside the stockade because half of the soldier prisoners hated him and half supported him. They couldn't guarantee his safety. So one of us would sit in the house with him while two more drove around the residence in a Jeep 24 hours a day. There was a special of some sort on TV one night about the My Lai massacre in Viet Nam and as Calley and I watched the TV show the voice would say something about what happen and Calley would say "Where'd they get that from?" "Who makes up this stuff." "How come nobody ask me."

That's sort of how this feels. I was sitting here reading all the Facebook posts about things that might happen, things that could go awry, and reading the imaginations going wild. Yet I was here. I was with them the whole time. They were extremely respectful and concerned about the city. They went through all the hoops and got all their permits and  everyone who had real contact with them, not Facebook imagination contact, was impressed with them and I was too and I don't impress easily. The people that did everything right got ran out of town.

I went out and laid next to Kobae again. Pulled my hat over my head to protect my face from the sun and thinking it was odd the angry mob hadn't gone after me yet. I'm the one that welcomed the movie people when the Punk Ass Weenies ran them out of town. Turns out I didn't have to wait long. On Wednesday Colorado went into lock down and I got six more cancellations from people that couldn't get here. One of the emails that came in the cancellation batch was this.

From: Elaine Gizler
Subject: Grand County, Utah Overnight Rentals
Date: March 26, 2020 at 2:56:57 PM MDT
To: tom@basecampadventurelodge.com

If you have rented your Over Night Rental from March 17th at 10 PM to a new reservation, you are in violation of the South Eastern Utah Health Department Order.  You are not permitted to book your property to a non-resident. You must contact the person who is occupying the property and ask them to vacate. Grand County is under strict order from the SEUHD not to permit any new reservations.  We are monitoring all Over Night Rental Properties for violations. Please respond to the status of your property. 

--
Regards,

Elaine

Elaine Gizler
Executive Director
Moab Area Travel Council
P.O. Box 550
Moab, Utah 84532
435-259-1370
www.discovermoab.com
Facebook.com /discovermoab
www.doitlikeamoablocal.com
 


So in thirteen years I've never gotten an email from anyone in Grand County government. I assume that's because I'm not in Grand County. But I got one today. The Punk Ass Weenie patrol has me in their head lights now and they're coming. As usual nobody in the Punk Ass Weenie patrol did their homework and found out I'm not in Grand County and they have no authority over me they just assumed with their all mighty power they could shut me down. Teach me a lesson. Show the little whippersnapper something.

I wanted so much to drag this out and tell her I'm not shutting down and try and make me. Just run them through the ringer with 1% of the misery they made the movie people go through before they found out I was in San Juan County. I realized I'd just be stirring things up and then I'd be a Punk Ass Weenie like them and I don't want that. Instead I emailed her and said I'm open and in San Juan County. I didn't get an email back. San Juan called me again though to make sure I'm open.

At first I thought there were just a few Punk Ass Weenies but now I'm starting to think there's a factory somewhere, probably in Moab. I may drive around and look for it if I ever go to town again.





No comments: