Tuesday, September 17, 2019

A Week's Stuff

Michelle left with Jax for a not sure how long amount of time. Same time Rachel who I haven't seen in a year plus calls and says she'd like to come visit with her three dogs, can I give her a ride from town. I have a blood draw Wednesday so tell her I'll pick her up then. I go out to get in the truck Wednesday morning and it won't start and the battery won't jump, it's done. I take a side by side over to the big garage to get the Jeep and it won't start and while I'm trying to jump it I notice it has a flat tire and it's pinning the two street legal Kymco side by sides in the garage. So I'll just take the six seater Polaris in for my blood draw and pick up Rachel and the dogs. Half way to town I realize I took the Polaris that isn't street legal. I get my blood draw, pick up some metal poles to shore up Kobae's fence, buy a battery for the Jeep and one for the truck, pick up Rachel and the dogs and get a flat tire on the way back. I put some Fix A Flat in it and limp back to the lodge. Couple hours later Kobae's fence is I think Kobae proof but he's a creative guy so the test of time will determine the true or false of that statement.
With three dogs here Kobae won't go hiking as he has to stay and defend his territory. He hangs out by the front door and waits knowing eventually dogs will come in or go out and he'll get to chase them, get fired up, then hump the stairs for an hour.
The weather has gone from roughly 100 straight days of 100 degrees to a couple days in the 90s and then right to the 80s. Kobae hasn't figured it out yet so he still doesn't come out until about 4pm or so which unfortunately for me with no hiking partners means I have lots of time to work around the property. The pond next door is a disaster. There are so many reeds growing in it and when I pull them it clouds up the water which eventually goes into the water system after settling and chlorine. I spend about an hour and a half working on the weeds yesterday and made a slight dent in the right side.
My 1 + 1 + 1 = 3.5 theory of a year or two ago is holding up, again. I found a boot I like and that lasts, so I buy three pair at a time. Nobody in Moab carries triple EEE wide boots so while I'd like to "shop local" I use Amazon. I buy 11's. Though they are a little too big in the winter they fit perfect in the summer as my feet expand when it's warm. They really do.

If you have one pair of boots and one boot wears out, get a hole in it, heel falls off or whatever you need a new pair of boots. You buy three pair and the odds of the three boots in a row being all the right or the left boot are rare so I have a good right boot and a good left boot still. They usually last another three to six months. So three pair of boots really equals three and a half for lifetime wear.
With evening it's Kit&Kaboodle and hot dog time right at dark. I put two bowls of Kit out on the east front porch for the raccoons. They have babies now and they're so cute. Usually the raccoons don't show up until after midnight but I put two hot dogs in each bowl now and one or two families show up early to get the hot dogs. Then I dug out under the west porch where the rock squirrels had their tunnels and filled up the under porch with dirt pushing out the skunks eating place and I fixed that so I put some Kit and three hot dogs down there each night lifting the boards with a small tire iron and the skunks are happy. One to three ringtails show up most of the time and I put hot dogs on a marsh mellow stick and feed them high in the rafters and by that time the parking lot has filled up with five to eight grey fox waiting patiently for their hot dogs. Last week I was about out of hot dogs and I was debating making a trip to town when an incoming guest emailed me and ask if I needed anything and I told them ten packs of hot dogs. They didn't bring me the less expensive between $1 and $2 a pack hot dogs they brought me Ball Park Franks. So three or four nights ago I'm out of the regulars and I go out on the porch and start chucking hot dogs to the foxes, two each. They normally walk off and eat them and come back and get in line again but on this night they're eating them right in the parking lot and coming closer for more. I was blowing through hot dogs. Even a ringtail came back twice. All the little people picked this night to become hot dog connoisseurs. I had used two packs the night before but on this night I went through 56 hot dogs keeping one pack for myself. I decided only BallPark was good enough for my little people friends so when I went to Village Market next I looked at the BallParks and they are $5.65 a pack, three times what I pay. The last two nights I threw out the regular hot dogs and they take their two hot dogs, wander off, and don't come back.

No comments: