Saturday, August 18, 2018

Look Where I Live

When Jax is here I'll hike and when he's not I'll trials bike so this morning I'm off for an hour loop around Jackson Hole. I haven't seen the big horn nursery in a couple weeks but I come across their tracks out in Jackson so they're close by and I doubt they'll be gone long. After I pass by the abandoned oil well and start up the hill before descending into Jackson Hole it hits me how stunning the landscape is. I'm the only one out here this morning, no traffic, nobody going off the trails, or weekend warriors kicking up dust and throttling up and down to hear their own automotive voice.

Just three days of not leaving the property was enough to let me see things through a clear eye again. It use to bother me when people would say "You're so lucky." To them is was as if I just woke up one day and I was here. They had no idea of the plus 100 hour weeks for 20 years and total of seven days off. No idea of the financial risk putting everything on the line again and again to make a very successful business that allowed me to move out here. No idea of the 15 years off and on of driving around in the boonies to find a place that was special but hadn't reached it's potential quite yet.

But now, on this morning, Saturday, August 18th, stopping to look around me at the mouth to Jackson Hole where the Jackson family tended cows for so many years..... I feel lucky.

I am lucky. I won life's biggest lottery being born in America. The work effort was mine but the country provided me the opportunity. That I'll never forget.


No comments: