Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sunday at Kane Creek

As Tom is returning from town a violent rainstorm hits. All up and down Hurrah Pass dirt bikes, ATV's, side by sides, and SUV's are pulled over trying to find shelter. Tom tells each of them they have to leave now and get across Kane Creek before the runoff water reaches it and they all depart for Kane Creek. An hour or two later Tom gets a call that there are many people trapped on this side of Kane Creek and heads out to see what he can do, if anything.

3 comments:

James said...

Glad we left early that morning. We drove some major squalls headed to Lake Powell. First time I remember having to pull off the road in a long time.

Unknown said...

Tom, thanks again for coming down to help us. We did end up getting out Monday morning without issue, the river had dropped from waste high to knee high and we could then see the one rock. We built up some smaller rocks around the other rock we couldn't see and made it out no problem.

Love the cameras! I didn't even notice you were wearing it!

Tom said...

Two weeks ago I got everybody out both creeks. Last week I couldn't get anybody across either one for two days. This week got across one but not the other.

Two weeks ago I didn't have the GoPro so now whenever I leave I strap it on the back of the driver's seat cause you never know.

I did take significant damage to the rear bumper. Not sure exactly where but it's bent up pretty good.

Sorry I couldn't find a way across Hunter Creek. I'm comfortable with the decision though. I don't think anybody would have made it and somebody would have had memorable damage. The Moab Sun has a picture of a jeep that got flooded and totaled in Hunter two weeks ago.