Friday, May 18, 2018

Progress

Probably the most progress has been the Desert Willow. With the first bud blooming on the 14th, just four days later it's exploded and is full of hummingbirds. This is the most flowers I've ever seen on it because normally the rock squirrels would have been up raiding the tree and eating all the buds and flowers but with Jax always looking out the window they rarely come to the front porch. I've put my squirt guns away when feeding Kobae.

Everything is full again at Base Camp at both places and we're mostly full through the end of the month. By waking up at 5:30 each morning I've carved out some time to get fit again.

The body wants to stay in bed but the brain's determination and commitment forces it and it wins, every time. The mental battles while hiking are always present to turn around and go back when it starts hurting or breathing gets uncomfortable but I've been through this enough times before that I know by the little signs I'm making progress. Today while hiking I had to cinch up one more hold on my belt. For the first time ever when we stopped for a water break Jax laid down and he didn't chase any lizards at all. He's learning to conserve his energy not knowing for sure how long the hike will be.
There will come an evening where I won't be able to sleep because I can hardly wait to wake up and go hiking and with the first light I'll be out at 5am instead of 6am. It's only a matter of time. The body hasn't accepted it yet but the mind already knows it's going to happen.

2 comments:

lue said...

Glad your making time for you I have no doubt you will succeed in your goals, look @ what you've succeeded with whats around you now.

Michelle Snow said...

Jax has one extreme or another:
Mommy = No exercise
Daddy = No rest