Sunday, March 29, 2020

I'm Toast

Colorado shut down and then Utah suggested a voluntarily shut down and I dropped to about 20% of what I would normally have this time of year. Then Sunday's booking emailed me on Saturday to tell me in light of San Juan County Health Department order they weren't coming. I said "What order?" I looked up the health department web site and it says to tell everybody to not come and they can get fined if they do come, or something similar. I tried to call them and though they put out an order on Saturday they didn't answer the phone. What I'm hearing is that three cases, no not beer, showed up on the Navajo Reservation. I'd heard there were about 70 cases but all in Arizona and New Mexico. Now three have showed up on this side of the nation and though close to 100 miles from me the whole county shut down. I'll try them again Monday to get clarification but I think I'm toast.

Channel is on my side of the river eating up the beach every day and there's a two plus foot drop off to the water.
I haven't seen the pigeon since I got back with Kobae a month or so ago. But I did have a small sharp-shinned hawk make a couple passes at the songbirds today. If it becomes a regular it's looking like I'll have plenty of time to do battle with it since no guests.
Some of the stories I'm getting from guests. From Oregon a lady couldn't get away because anybody that can sew was ask to stay and make masks. Policeman from by L.A. on emergency shifts and it's a madhouse. Two more people emailed to say their area was on quarantine but thanks for not being a Punk Ass Weenie. That was gaining some real traction until I got shut down today. From San Diego they're patrolling neighborhoods making sure everyone is complying with quarantine. Guy came out from the last movie yesterday and said Moad is empty. I think it's been just before the tourney since I've been there so news to me but there are a lot less side by sides coming over Hurrah Pass. I only hear a few every day. Jeep Safari would have started next Friday and it's cancelled. Guests were out kayaking in the river and when they got back I had to tell them I'm closed.
I did get two interesting spam calls. The first one said "Our records show that your warranty on your vehicle is about to expire and if I wanted to renew it better push a button to get help. So I pushed it. I was shocked to find out my 2000 Ford 150 with almost 250,000 miles on it, and not easy miles, was too late to renew the warranty. Bummer I thought it was 20 years or 250,000 miles whichever came first. The second, I have to admit I can't remember what the product was but if I tried it they could get me a free cruise. It was so tempting because my odds of getting the virus on a cruise ship are so much less than getting it in a canyon hike in the middle of nowhere with the nearest neighbor ten miles or so away.
For some period of time it appears it's just Dre and I. Not completely. The foxes were out tonight, a little skunk running up and down the porch with a hot dog in it's mouth. ringtails in the rafters and the birds sang all day with the exception of the two Sharp-shinned fly byes and tonight though 1:30 in the morning I can hear the Canada geese fighting for nesting spots on the sand bars and island. 



No comments: