Saturday, December 21, 2019

Genius at Work

Part of this off season is experimenting with ways to do things faster, no duplication, as well as getting more organized for the next season. In the business world I never liked to handle paper twice. You get a bill, pay it. In fact call the trash company or alarm company and see if you can pay the whole year at one time and will they give me a one month discount each year if I pay them in January of every year for the whole year. That way I only need manpower to pay one bill, not 12 and times that by 25 facilities and it's a huge time and money savings and times that by the trash bill, the alarm bill, the.........

Applying that learning experience I don't want to handle firewood (eventual paper) twice. I have a wood guy that deposits it right in the back of my truck and I unload it at the various fire pits around the property. Last year I built up a cache of extra wood on the back porch and then when somebody would run short I'd load it in the truck and take it to whoever/wherever was short. Double handling but not having to make an extra trip to town.

So this time when every fire pit was bulging with fire wood I kept a partial load in the back of the truck so that I could just take it where it was needed without having to unload it on the porch and reload it in the truck.

Couple days ago I walk outside and the front tire is flat. Pretty rare for ten ply tires. I put some air in it and some Fix-a-Flat, drive it around a little, don't hear anything, and park it. Little while later it's flat again.
I pull the spare, put a floor jack under the truck but I can't lift the truck. I'm pushing down on the floor jack and it's an effort. Never been an effort before. I call Nations and ask them what could have changed. They don't know. I walk outside and realize the back of the truck is full of wood, mostly on the left side.
I fill it full of air again. Drive quickly over to Last Hurrah and overfill the hogans and houses with wood, drive the truck into the big garage, and it jacks right up. The rim is broken, no fixing that, takes a spare.

No comments: