Thursday, September 14, 2023

Even More Decisions

For Wifi I've had Hughes Net forever. It's worked ok but Starlink changed the game. It's five to ten times as fast, you have unlimited amount of wifi you can use where Hughes Net restricted the amount available and once you used it up they slowed you way down or you had to purchase more data. I put Starlink in the lodge and it worked great so I did it in each of the houses also. I kept Hughes Net for a year after Starlink paying almost $200 a month for each of the three locations to make sure there weren't any issues with Starlink. I disconnected three Hughes Net that had Starlink also at the location and shortly after Starlink went out at one of the locations. Starlink sent a new cable right away but it didn't work either.
Turns out Starlink will only provide three standard units (residential) to one location. I ordered a commerercial one, almost $3,000 for the dish alone. It's mobile and you can take it around the country with you. When the residential one went out it was a good backup and we moved it down to the residential while waiting for Starlink to deliver another cable for the standard. It worked great and then went out after four days so another standard and premium cable are on their way, no charge. I'll probably wind up with the premiums that can be moved around so I don't have this issue again. All into back up systems.
I have a new computer enroute already set up and will use it in the future, way more memory, and I'll use the one I have now as a backup. Here's the two things I don't want a back up of.
Meanwhile in San Diego Linny's baby is two months old.

No comments: