Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Michael BMW 1200

The day before check out Michael mentioned he didn't enjoy the road that much on his street bike. I said "I'll drive it out for you." He said "Ok."

Sunday night lying in bed thinking about how to keep that 650 pound machine from tipping over and mapping out the route up Hurrah in my head I started trying to remember how many years it's been since I drove a street bike. Then I realized it was probably my 1973 Kawasaki 500 that weighed in at 450 pounds. I had never driving anything like this. That's when I got nervous.

Still, I had made a commitment and Michael seemed pretty happy about it. After he showed me how to start it and what the gear selection was I teetered down the drive way and hit the sand at the bottom having to drag my feet for the first hundred yards. But I'm a trials rider and I know the road. Once I got a little speed going it felt good and my confidence was growing. I didn't really have any issues until that last part at the top. I had decided I was just going up the left side no matter what but about half way up a rock ledge broke and spun me at a right angle. I gave it the gas hoping to get out of there before it fell and trapped me under it. The front end came up and I threw all my weight forward trying to keep it down. I bounced over the ledges partially out of control. Just before I crashed into the Hurrah Pass sign I got it back under control, packed brake and it began to fall over to the right but the right handlebar landed exactly right on the big rock like I'd put it there on purpose to lean it up against the rock. Linny and Michael came up behind me in the truck and I was looking all calm and collected like there were no issues.

Linny said "Is the front end suppose to come up like that?" Michael came over and said "That was some pretty impressive riding. You want to ride it down the other side?" Before I could think my mouth said "Yes. For sure." Thanks Michael.




No comments: