Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Land of the Skinny People

Many years ago Linny and I found a petrified mud maze off one of the canyons. Linny was just four or five years old and there are several tight spots you have to squeeze through and after getting through one of them Linny said "Tom, I think skinny people use to live here." It stuck.

Since the lodge's new found popularity neither Linny or I get to go out with guests much so I've drawn up a hand map to get guests to Skinny People. I despise cairns so I've drawn it the best I can but last week I had two sets of guests in a row not find the entrance to Skinny People so on Saturday morning Jax and I set out and I cairned directions to Skinny People.

Now, four days later I regret it. Cairns feels like cheating. Whenever I see them I follow them to see if there's anything useful at the end of the trail. Then I kick them over and scatter the rocks about. It's the boonies. You don't have a GPS to tell you where to go and what to do. You have to work for it. You'll appreciate it more. If they don't find it they don't find it. Next trip I'm kicking them back over.








1 comment:

Mel said...

Make them work for it. It’s all about the journey not the destination.