Friday, August 5, 2016

Kit Fox

Ten plus years that I've lived here. I've seen lots of Gray fox and heard of Red and Kit. Last year I finally saw my first Red fox and then on Thursday morning I'm standing on the front porch with friends and I hear the White-tailed Antelope squirrels sounding the alarm from down the driveway. I look across the driveway and all the ground creatures run for cover while the birds keep eating. That tells me that a ground predator is coming, probably a fox. As I'm explaining the White-tailed early warning system to everyone, all at once everyone says "There it is." I've read of Kit foxes and know they are generally at higher altitudes than Base Camp, for example prevalent at Dead Horse Point, but I'd never seen one. Thanks to Dennis for the picture and Cory for forwarding it on.