Thursday, October 24, 2019

Base Camp

I should probably change the name to just Base Camp since it's not just a lodge anymore but I'll have plenty of winter to study what needs changing and what stays the same.

Doug's people fixed the boat house and put some soil back under it that washed away during the flood and since I took this picture went in and painted it. He's the only one using it occasionally anyway.
During the mosquito season I made up a home brew mosquito repellent out of Epsom salt, mouthwash, and beer. Some use recycled beer, otherwise known as pee. Not me. I'm classy. I still had one container left that I had in a cleaning bottle stuffed all the way in the back of the cleaning stuff cabinet. I'm over at the main house last week and Michelle says. "I cleaned all the floors but I swear they smell like mouth wash."
It's been six weeks since Jax was here. Michelle keeps saying she's going to get him at some friend's house and she'll leave and then come back without him again but she just called to say she's bringing him tomorrow. I'm so ready.
A couple years ago I had a deal without going into it too much with some Special Forces guys who would stay over at Last Hurrah and do training and teach classes out here. I think they were mostly retired and contracted by a civilian agency of sorts but it wasn't too organized and sort of fell apart. Now two years later they have rented from me and again it was a rough start and when i was thinking about not doing another deal with them Kobae and I were walking down Hurrah and some guests checking in drove by. I gave them directions for the last half mile and then saw them drive right by the turn off to the lodge. Five minutes later I see them coming back and make the correct turn. When I get to the lodge they ask if I heard about their experience getting here. They got a flat when they drove by the turn off. I said "No you didn't. You were only gone about five minutes." They said three guys ran down the hill from where they were training and changed their tire in about two minutes and sent them with correct directions to get here. Later the SF people came by and made everything right with the scheduling mix up we had in the beginning and I couldn't have been more impressed. They never said a word about changing the tire. Tomorrow when the guests heck out one of the SF guys is driving their car out for them.



No comments: