Saturday, August 24, 2019

Hurrah, Jet Trails, and the Moon

There are a lot of places to hike each morning but on mornings when guests are checking out it's best to hike Hurrah so we can say goodbye and thank them for coming all the way out.











When we got to Hurrah I found a spot in the shade on the west downhill side and Jax and I laid down. I'd noticed something different on the hike up. The jets that I see and hear about the same places on the hike up weren't leaving jet trails. So I laid there, Jax on my chest, watching the planes cross above us. The two from the east, then one coming from north to south and on and on. Flyover country. Most are pretty consistent and their jet trails cross each other normally. Not today. No jet trails. I don't know if they were flying at different altitudes than usual or if the conditions 30,000 feet above us were unique on this day.

I noticed the Three Guys on a Roller Coaster were watching us.

For half an hour we laid there. No jet trails in a sky usually full of them. Then two jets a couple minutes a part flew right across the moon. Time to start down for home. We're late and the bottom part of the hike will be in the sun. Jax won't enjoy that much. Michelle showed up, worked like crazy for a couple days, gave Jax a bath, then left again. He'll still be hot but for the moment he's clean.

Even though we'd hiked Hurrah just three or four days before the amount of trash that builds up on the trail is astonishing. I'm going to have to start wearing a fanny or back pack. I just can't carry all the trash unfortunately.



No comments: